Follow revasrags2roses

A Home Town Hero Says No to Mass Production



    When I was a younger girl, the town I grew up in was a 1970's dream. No worries, everyone knew each other and we lived in the sunshine all summer, swimming or running through corn fields playing hide and seek.
    When fall came around, I spent hours dog-earring the Sears and Roebuck catalog. There were 2 small shops in town where Mom bought me sneakers and school shoes. Period. The choices were very limited - Aigner, Bass, Famolare and Converse. There was always a selection of saddle shoes (we called them Bee-Bops), but they had to be ordered and the wait was eternal...
     If we needed a formal dress we would drive 60 miles to Evansville, IN and buy from another nice, small family-owned shop. Soon things would change forever. I didn't realize the profound nature of the up-and-coming word, "Mart"...
    It all started on a Saturday night after me, Mom, and Dad finished eating at the Golden Corral (another very new place). We crossed the parking lot into K-Mart.
It was a young country girl's dream. Lot's of trendy things and really cheap! I can still remember running to the 'Blue Light Specials' to see what treasures I could gain... The rest is pretty much history as I slowly watched the small family shops go under when Wal-Mart moved to our county. I was beginning to feel duped...
The small town began to succumb to the mass-produced lifestyle. They couldn't compete. It was as if a ghost had erased my hometown...


Enter: Teresa Holeman
A former resident who was born in Sturgis, but had left for the Carolina's. She has returned and taken the Ole Sturgis Antique Mall, put her heart and soul into reworking this mall to be the best Antique Mall in the country. The building is formerly a sewing factory, where my Mom worked nearly all of her life! It is 28,000 sq. feet full of treasures, houses over 100 dealers and 50 showcases. Her booths are my favorite as she has more vintage wearables than anyone I have ever seen!

With the help and support of other Sturgis businesses and residents, the town is revived and thriving. It hosts the Little Sturgis Motorcycle Rally and we even have a new bakery!
    When asked why she loves Vintage pieces so much, Teresa said that she didn't like cookie-cutter styles. Vintage has history and is usually one-of-a-kind. (When I visit the mall, she is always so busy and sporting some type of vintage piece)...
    I agree with her pre-loved ethics, and always try to find a goodie or two when I'm there. To be able to support small business makes me feel like part of something right and better.
Here are some of her pieces:
The famous body of brooches that greets you when you enter the mall.

Everything is pristine and original, pressed and perfect. No yuckies allowed!
I usually take at least 3/4 trips in :)
I have Never seen such a terrific vintage hat collection from fur to silk and all in between...
She also keeps up with the 'trends' of Vintage as well.
Right now, glasses and hats are the most requested.
(I am on her 'to find' list for a cigarette tip holder)
I know! She does that for ya!

Ooohh, and her bags!
 And jewelry. (There was so much to shoot!)
I've never seen these that old before....
 There are many more vintage clothing and accessory booths as well, but are you getting tired,yet?
 Be sure to bring a little:

 A big thanks to Teresa, Mike, Stacey, Anna and all the wonderful Small Town Hero's who are making a difference in how we see our world, how we treat our treasures and how we can manage the earth by recycling pre-loved merchandise.
No Cookie Cutters for them!
She also takes phone orders and ships!
(She has put blood, sweat and probably lots of cash into revamping this mall.)
It is incredibly awesome!
Looking for something special?
The Mall is located on US Highway 60 in Western KY, very close to Indiana and Illinois...
Right by the only 4-way stop!

As my dad said, you have an obligation to leave the world better than how you found it. And he also reminded us to be givers in this life, and not takers. 

xXx
Reva

13 comments:

Susan said...

Suzie,,,I loved your blog! I moved from Union County around seven years ago. I have not taken the opportunity to check out the antique mall! Thank you so much for the glimpse inside! I am a huge fan of the jewelry!!! I love the old rhinestones and crystals!!! You always do such a wonderful job!
As always, Thank You for the entertainment!
P.S You were so lucky to get the Beebops. My mother was never a fan of brand names :( I guess that is why that I love clothes and high dollar shoes now,lol!!

Vix said...

What a fabulous post, Reva.
Our town centre has been decimated by Asda (Walmart's UK name). Our thousand year old market is a shadow of it's former self because it's "just easier" for people to park up and buy clothes, make-up, toiletries, meat, fish, vegetables, homeware and groceries under one roof.
I'd be in that shop for ever, there's so many gorgeous things to see. x

ChelsCheesecake said...

That's so admirable! I'm in awe. I'd like to do something like that.

mispapelicos said...

What a beautiful post.
You are so true about all your points, that I can only agree, and wish I could visit that lovely shop one day.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Nelly said...

What a great shop may she forever prosper.No cookie cutter things for me either

Debbi@SheAccessorizesWell said...

What a cool shop! If I am ever in your area, I would certainly visit it and be so happy!
Thanks for sharing this post. My husband and I were just talking about how Walmart changed small towns and now big ones too.

Patti @ NotDeadYet Style said...

I want to shop there! This is a great tribute post, Reva, to the small business people who have so much energy and courage. I could get lost in the vintage jewelry section . . .

None said...

What a great article. I didn't grow up in a traditional small town, more of a suburb, but in the '70s it still had some small town feeling. I can remember going into local businesses -- a bakery, a small hardware store, even a butcher shop. All gone by the time I was an adult. Your post gives me hope that maybe now local businesses can make a comeback.

Anonymous said...

That costume jewelry reminds me so much of my mom. Now that is all I can thing about....hmmm, thanks, I think...

& yes, as per your comment, I do know I can be a loving, good person, but I guess I just wanted to say I am so many other things that conflict with that(to some people)as well. ~Mary

The Style Crone said...

I would love to see the hat collection! Very inspiring post and happy to hear that vintage is thriving in your area.

Anonymous said...

Oh- I didn't realize you were in Sturgis! I'm only about 2 hours from there. We actually planned on attending the motorcycle rally last year but something came up & changed our plans :( I'd love to visit your little town sometime. It looks so quaint!

the Citizen Rosebud said...

You make me want to shop with you.

freeda said...

Oh, I lived in Sturgis when I was pregnant - Kiddo is now 16! We lived on Congress across from the auto parts place. Lots of memories there. Maybe time to take Kiddo on a road trip and check out the local treasures! (We live in Portage.)

This is my first stop at your blog, but won't be the last.

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin